Sunday, January 6, 2013

Even My Kids Eat Brussel Sprouts

      As a kid, I hated brussel sprouts. It was the kind of veggie I had to plug my nose, chew as fast as I could, swallow and chase down with milk. I even hated the smell of them. In an effort to eat cleaner, I decided to give brussel sprouts a "second chance" as an adult. Here are some of the reasons why:

1. The high fiber content of brussel sprouts lowers cholesterol.
2. There is a whole host of antioxidants found in brussel sprouts including, Vitamin A, C, and E, which      in turn help promote bone health, assure a healthy immune system, and lower blood pressure.
3. Brussel sprouts help prevent and fight against certain types of cancer.
4. Brussel sprouts aid in digestion, maintain low blood sugar, and keep you from overeating.
5. Brussel sprouts have been shown to fight inflammation in the body.

These are just some of the nutritional benefits of eating brussel sprouts. Obviously they are good for you, but how did I become a fan of the taste of brussel sprouts and even get my kids to eat them? It's all in the preparation. I came across this fantastic recipe. My whole family likes them now. I'm telling you, if you've never liked brussel sprouts it's time to reconsider and try this recipe out. My sister-in-law, whom also hated brussel sprouts growing up, tried this recipe at our house and called me days later asking for the recipe. She cooked them for family dinner over the holidays and they were a hit!



                                 Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients:

1 lb Brussel sprouts with ends trimmed and cut in half
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp garlic salt
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil

2. In a bowl, combine brussel sprouts with olive oil and toss to coat.

3. Spread brussle sprouts in a single layer on the baking sheet

4. Cook in preheated oven for approximately 30 mins, turning frequently until tender.

Serve Warm. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment